Friday 15 May 2020

I choose life - A poem

Recently, I said to my husband Simon, 'I thought I was going to die.' He replied, 'I thought you were going to die.' In the midst of being desperately ill, I wrote this poem for my children. What began as a eulogy - in case I wasn't able to let my two beautiful daughters know some of the simple stuff about me - soon morphed into a mantra of positivity; as I shifted into believing this disease would not take me, I was going to live to tell them myself.




I choose life.
I choose love.
I choose Simon, our girls, our life, our love.
I choose FREEDOM. Oneness and freedom.
I choose home and its heathland. Our amazing community.
I choose yellow and the power it can harness. Sunflowers.
I choose tip toeing through bluebells. 
I choose roses, freesias, peonies, sweet peas, olive trees, turning maple leaves.
I choose Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter.
I choose the rain on my windows.
I choose the beach, I choose Greece in all its simplicity.
I choose the Serengeti planes at sunset.
I choose New York City under the stars. I choose to map the stars.
I choose roast lamb with garlic and rosemary, and treacle sponge pud for afters.
I choose a really thick word search book.
I choose Calamity Jane, Grease, Dirty Dancing, LA LA Land and frankly any musical...
I choose fireworks and carols by candlelight. I choose tradition.
I choose a really daft joke.
I choose happiness all round.
I choose to dance. I want to dance again.
I choose to aim high. To shoot netball and to stretch in yoga.
I choose the memories of childhood.
I choose smiling. Making people smile.
I choose the gift of friendship.
I choose health. To know true health.
I choose never to give up.
I choose humanity, compassion and peace. The power that is connectedness, feeding love back to the planet.
I choose to hear laughter through the pain.
I choose slow and steady wins the race.
I choose to beat corona virus.
I choose to stay positive.
I choose my children’s smiles.
I choose to cherish and nurture their souls. And to polish my husband’s halo whenever possible.
And I choose to sing. SING. SING
I choose not to fester, nor to pester.
I choose beautiful and blessed.
I choose light.
I choose recovery.
I choose love.
I choose life.

No comments: