Monday 13 May 2019

8th acupuncture appointment...

When the acupuncturist asked me to stop the herbs and a lot of the homeopathic remedies, initially I felt uneasy. I had made good progress on it all. But I was not yet well. I spoke to my naturopath about the changes and her thoughts were that Lyme is such a complex disease, it can be a good thing to change your treatment and bring a surprise attack element to a bacteria, that can and probably will eventually become resistant to what you are doing.

And so, I've settled into a routine with the acupuncturist. Each weekly session leaves me feeling either drained, unwell or both for approximately one to two days, then clears leaving me feeling that bit better. (So long as I stick to the protocol).

The first three occasions were by far the worst. They left me bed-ridden and hurting - in itself not unusual with lyme, but having been with the naturopath it's been a while since I was in that state. There were all sorts of aches and pains associated with the new treatment, but after that, I noticed my lyme symptoms were better. The sharp stabbing pains in my head had ceased. The swelling behind my ears was gone. The pressure I felt in my skull, subsided. There was less confusion and word searching. Less brain fog. Less headaches. Less waking up with the hangover from hell. More remarkable than all of that, my ears, which have been plagued with screaming tinnitus non-stop for two years, began to quieten, so that for parts of some days, I actually didn't notice them.

Needless to say, I'm continuing with acupuncture and the Chinese Medicine protocol for 'wood yin type' - the new diet, exercises, hot baths, supplements, and rest.


Yes it felt odd to change the entire protocol I've been following since diagnosis 18 months ago, and yes, I definitely went backwards. As a consequence of such a dramatic change being a shock to the system.

I also dropped my HRT down by 25 mcg at the Chinese Medicine Doctor's request, for in his words, what is the point of trying to balance the body when I'm also receiving a synthetic drug? This drop led me backwards again. I became frustrated as yet more lyme symptoms returned, scaring the bejesus out of me. However, fast forward a few weeks and a new balance is in place. I'm seeing positive results once more, in as much as I'm feeling the best I have in a long time. Still waiting on some more energy mind you. The much revered vital life force accessed through acupuncture referred to as 'Qi'. Time and patience are clearly what's needed. But when it comes to my health, I ran out of those a few years ago... Sit still, rest, recover... pah. Not me. I'm off to New York!

FOOTNOTE

The thing is with Lyme, you never quite know where you are. It is such a stealth bacteria. Hiding out until the conditions are perfect. The idea of the acupuncture is to change those perfect conditions. Every now and again I'm glimpsing complete normality, which is unbelievably exciting. But how on earth will I manage an upcoming trip? My friend that does reiki has offered me a crystal healing. Hold on for the ride!


No comments: