Friday 2 November 2018

Healing from lyme disease naturally - How Epsom Salt Baths work

Owning your disease... controlling your lyme symptoms and helping rid the body of toxins created by a lyme diet.




Healing naturally from lyme takes a lot of hard work. There's a routine to get into and rules to abide by and frankly, it's dull. However, as I'd rather my life was dull - and not painful - I've managed over the last ten months to find a rhythm with it all that I'm comfortable with. The party loving/coffee relying/choc-o-holic in me never saw that coming.

That last sentence sort of gives you a clue to the fact that my life is a lot less chaotic these days. In fact, life has changed considerably. Part and parcel of having zero energy and being forced to stop as much as taking control and turning my diet on its head. For my diet has changed dramatically. And when I say dramatically, I mean DRAMATICALLY. No refined sugar, no alcohol, no caffeine, no wheat, no dairy, no gluten. 98% of the time. Ahem! I'd better stick the 98% caveat in there as YES,  I do enjoy a cup of tea each day and it is made with cow's milk... I do sometimes have the roast with the gravy AND the Yorkshire pud... but hey, didn't someone clever once say: It's what you do most of the time that counts. Besides, living with lyme is hard enough :-)

However hard it's been - and it has become easier - sticking to the diet definitely helps my symptoms. Fact: As the bacteria thrives on anything containing sugar, wheat, yeast etc, essentially, I'm starving it; killing it off. When I veer off the diet, I immediately notice inflammation as the bacteria wakes to party. Returning to the diet, means returning to the pain as it is caused again, this time thanks to the bacteria dying off. Something called a Herxheimer reaction (worth looking up). Antibiotics can cause this too... In my case that's mostly headaches and head pressure, vertigo and balance issues, blurred vision and extreme tinnitus. Or as the writer within likes to put it: Having a head that feels like it has done the cycle in the washing machine and is left stuck on spin. Stands to reason that I'm encouraged to eat cleanly. I know not everyone understands the dietary choices I currently make, but not everyone has to live with Lyme...

It isn't only diet alone that helps me control the severity of my symptoms. There are other tips and tricks too. One of these is to encourage the lymphatic system to move and therefore drain toxins, using dry skin brushing. Another is to take Epsom salt baths three times a week. The salts have fantastic health benefits and are an excellent way to de-stress and detoxify the body; which needs to be done regularly when killing off bacteria.

HOT Epsom salt baths are a great way of helping the body rid those harmful toxins, working by drawing them out in exchange for magnseium and sulphates; much needed minerals that balance enzymes and stimulate nerve and muscle function, in turn improving inflammation, as well as the oxygenation and blood flow through the body.

The difference is clear. On the nights I sweat it out, I wake clearer and with more energy the following day. Epsom salt baths: easily incorporated into a routine with definite results.

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Have the water temperature as hot as you can stand it.
2. Use less salts to begin with and build up your tolerance. I now use 2-3 mug fulls per bath.
3. Don't soak for more than 20 minutes, as after this time you begin to reabsorb the toxins that will have been drawn out.
4. Rinse the body afterwards to prevent the salts continuing to draw out toxins.
5. Be aware, this does work and you may feel light-headed when you stand up.
6. You will want to have an early night after an epsom salt bath as it will exhaust you!

Disclaimer


No comments: