Tuesday 27 November 2018

Healing from Lyme naturally - Drinking water

Owning your disease... controlling your lyme symptoms and helping rid the body of toxins created by pathogens drawn out by a lyme diet.

Healing naturally from lyme takes a lot of hard work. There's a routine to get into and rules to abide by and frankly, it's dull. However, as I'd rather my life was dull and not painful - I've managed over the last 12 months to find a rhythm with it all that I'm comfortable with. The party loving/coffee relying/choc-o-holic in me never saw that coming.

That last sentence sort of gives you a clue to the fact that my life far less chaotic these days. In fact, it's changed considerably. Part and parcel of having zero energy and being forced to stop as much as taking control and turning my diet on its head. For my diet has changed dramatically. No refined sugar, no alcohol, no caffeine, no wheat, no dairy, no gluten. 98% of the time. Ahem! I'd better stick the 98% caveat in there as yes,  I do enjoy a cup of tea each day and it is made with cow's milk and I do sometimes have the roast with the gravy... Didn't someone clever once say: It's what you do most of the time that counts. Besides, living with lyme is hard enough :-)

However hard it's been - and it has become easier - sticking to the diet definitely helps my symptoms. As the bacteria thrives on anything containing sugar, wheat, yeast etc, essentially, I'm starving it; killing it off. When I veer off the diet, I immediately notice inflammation as the bacteria wakes to party. Returning to the diet, means returning to the pain as it is caused again, this time thanks to the bacteria dying. Something called a Herxheimer reaction, which is worth looking up... For me this currently plays out mostly as nausea, itching, headaches and head pressure, vertigo and balance issues, blurred vision and extreme tinnitus. Stands to reason that I'm encouraged to eat cleanly. Not everyone will understand the dietary choices I now make, but not everyone will have to live with Lyme...

Of course it isn't only diet alone that helps me control the severity of my symptoms. There are other tips and tricks too. One of these is to encourage the lymphatic system to move and therefore drain, using dry skin brushing. Another is to take Epsom salt baths three times a week. The salts have fantastic health benefits and are an excellent way to destress and detoxify the body. I do a yoga class that incorporates meditation as well as yoga at home. But one of the most important things I do, is drink plenty of water.

The average human body is made up of 50-70% water. Hydration affects our mood, our performance, our digestion, relieves fatigue, regulates temperature and basically keeps us alive! Keeping up our water intake is essential - the recommended amount being 1.6L for a woman and 2L for a man.  

Drinking water helps flush our lymphatic system, keeping our filtration system tip top; cleansing the liver and kidneys, it feeds our brain and skin and indeed all our organs.

On my diet, drinking water is essential to help the body move along the toxins that eating cleanly creates. For as the bacteria is starved and dies off, it is essential to unburden the liver as much as possible. To aid the adrenals for the immune system too.

Along with water intake, to help in the fight against lyme, I also drink lemon water first thing in the morning to help the detoxification process.

Before I started my treatment for Lyme disease, I was feeling so incredibly unwell, I really did not drink enough water... plenty of caffeine and alcohol mind you.

Initially my body went through a huge detox which I could see reflected in my skin. Now my skin reflects the fact that I am so well-hydrated. it is clear and bright. Something I had never enjoyed before.

Hydration is not the fix of all health issues, but it is certainly one of the most important ways we can help ourselves look after our health.

It may interest you to read this review of a water filter I now use.



Disclaimer

No comments: