Monday 16 February 2015

Traditional Pancakes - how to get perfect results (without cheating)

HOW NOT TO CHEAT AT LEMON & SUGAR PANCAKES


"Mummy puts a pancake on the ceiling"

Throughout previous years as both a mother and a trained nanny, my culinary pancake skills have been well and truly tested, and in the end I'm afraid I've given up and succumbed each and every time, to the all in one method. (Add water to the container that already contains everything else, shake and pour, fry and eat). If you want to smile, you can read about one such disaster here.




As a nanny this was always excused because I worked (mainly) for Americans - and families who always welcomed Aunt Bessie or Aunt Jemima to any pancake occasion.

It never bothered me that I never honed any pancake making skills. Until now. This year, pancake day falls in half term, and my Godson and his mum, who I really don't get to see that often are coming to stay, so for once I've decided not to cheat. I WILL attempt to make my own from scratch (with eggs and everything) and see it through until something edible lands upon the plate.


So there you have it; 2015, is to be the first year ever, that I'm planning to make a concerted effort to concoct what you see in the above picture (image and recipe supplied by Flora Buttery), without shaking anything other than my homemade pancake making booty. Wish me luck... and Godson Ryan, no rude remarks allowed, or the pancake may just happen to land on your head when I flip...


HOW NOT TO CHEAT AT LEMON & SUGAR PANCAKES 
  • 10 mins to prep
  • 15-20 mins to cook
  • Serves 8
You will need: 
  • 115g (4 oz) plain flour 
  • 2 medium eggs 
  • 300ml (½ pint) milk or milk and water 
  • Flora Buttery for frying 
  • Caster sugar 
  • Lemon wedges
Method: 
  1. For the batter, sieve the flour into a mixing bowl and add the eggs, mixing well. Gradually stir in half the milk and beat thoroughly. Stir in remaining milk and beat lightly. 
  2. Heat a little Flora in a medium-sized pan over a low heat until fairly hot. Slide it around to grease the pan then pour the excess into a jug, ready for the next pancake. 
  3. Pour a little batter into the pan; tip pan to spread batter and make very thin coating. Cook until the underside is golden brown and the top is covered with bubbles. Toss or turn over and cook until the other side is golden brown. 
  4. Place the pancake on a plate, sprinkle with lemon juice and caster sugar or 2 teaspoons of jam. Roll loosely and again sprinkle with sugar. 
  5. Cover and keep hot under a very low grill, or in a pre-heated oven 140°C/120°C fan/ gas mark 1, until all your pancakes are ready. Add more melted Flora to the pan each time to prevent sticking. Serve with lemon wedges.  





No comments: