Thursday 7 November 2013

That old chestnut: A poem about fickle friendship

And then there's that old chestnut: 'So and so says they don't like me anymore.' 

I suppose it shouldn't be dismissed, but neither should it be of too much concern. 



The morning that she broke her heart, Esme relayed how her good pal didn't want to be friends anymore. 

Oh how she sobbed in my lap. 

And then reluctantly went to school.

Of course I spent the entire time worried sick, and couldn't wait for 3pm to roll around. 

Man, that day dragged.

Eventually pick up came.

I stood there anticipating the pale faced sad child that I'd left hours earlier.

But wait, there she was, with, yes, that friend, and oh. What's that?

They're skipping out the door together.

Hand in hand.


This event took place a year ago when Esme was a few weeks into reception, but this post was written in lieu of what Esme has been going through at school recently. You can read about that here.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, this has been on my mind recently...I am wondering how I am going to deal with all the ups and downs in Peanut's social life...I guess we as parents take it harder than the wee ones...I'm glad the friendship was resurrected and long may it last :-)

Wicked World of Lucas said...

Oh this is brilliant. I can't keep track of who Lucas's best friend is on any given day and this captures the situation perfectly - loved reading this #prose4t

Unknown said...

That's girls for you....do we ever learn?!

Writing Life As It Is said...

Thanks for commenting here. You're right of course, children always adapt far more readily than we ever do as adults. Hope you're enjoying the weekend.

Writing Life As It Is said...

Ah thanks for that lovely comment.

Writing Life As It Is said...

Probably not Suzanne, btw, I'm dreading teenagers in the house!

Unknown said...

This completely sums up small children and their relationships! Sorry for the delay in responding. Thanks for linking to Prose for Thought x