Friday 28 March 2014

The importance of checking moles

Recently I noticed a mole on my back had become a little bit sore. It was itching and bleeding. I'm not sure if I knocked it or not. I had gone to my G.P. for something else - but at the last minute remembered to mention the dodgy mole. The doctor examined it and referred me immediately to the hospital.


Being a busy mum with what feels like a porridge pot of things to do, I would not have felt the need to get myself straight to the doctor for a mole alone. And this is why I am writing this post.

New moles can develop at any time. They generally come in a range of shapes, sizes and colours. They are usually nothing to worry about. However, if they start to change and develop unusual characteristics, they ought to be checked. There is a simple A B C D rule to follow.

A – Asymmetry, a mole shouldn’t differ from one side to the other.

B – Border, the edges of the mole shouldn’t be blurred or jagged.

C – Colour, look out for any changes in colour or patchy shades.

D – Diameter, check to see if a mole increases in size or if it is larger than 6mm across.

Also check to see if a mole reddens, itches, crusts or bleeds. If you spot any of these changes, make an appointment and see your GP. Don't mess about thinking it is not something important. It could be.


FOOTNOTE - ADDED JUNE 2014
The mole that I had removed was not cancerous. 
I am pleased to have had it removed though.
We can't assume these things are fine.  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You've got some great points here about moles, and I really agree with you on all of them. Not only are they aesthetically unpleasant, but they're also potential health risks, depending on their characteristics, as shown in this post of yours. Good for you for having the mole removed. The best way to keep them from coming back would be to have proper skin care, hygiene and the right SPF formula for one's sunblock, depending on how much exposure you'll be having from direct sunlight. Anyway, thank you so much for sharing this thought-provoking and informative post. Stay healthy and beautiful!

Jackie Wong @ Miami Institute